Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Globalive brings the Wind brand from Wind Telecomunicazioni, the wireless communications provider with subscribers in Italy and Greece which is owned by Globalive billionaire backer Naguib Sawiris who is set to take a 65 percent stake in the Canadian carrier which is set to start offering cell phone service towards the end of 2009.
Not failing to pounce the established cell carriers have already filed complaints with the CRTC claiming that the 65 percent stake claimed by Sawiris is a violation of Canadian ownership laws which require that 80 percent of the telecommunications provider remain under Canadian ownership. Globalive promises that two thirds of the directors of Wind will be Canadian which should meet the requirement for Canadian control as set out by the CRTC.
The CRTC will hold hearing in the last week of September and will render a decision thirty days after which will alter wireless communications in Canada.
- ► 2014 (10)
- ► 2012 (14)
- ► 2011 (21)
- ► 2010 (61)
- Xbox 360 Elite Price Drops $100 in US and $70 in C...
- TiVo Goes After Telcos
- Zune HD Launch Delayed in Canada
- Petition To Abolish CRTC, Just Short Sighted And W...
- Legally Free Satellite TV To Come To Canada (No Se...
- Apple To Announce New iPods September 9th
- Bell Telus Merger, Canada To Get A Single Telco Wi...
- Is the Zune HD a Matter of Do or Die for Microsoft...
- What Phones Will The New Cell Carriers Provide?
- Canada's New Cell Carrier Gets A Brand Identity, A...
- What Apple Needs To Do With Their Upcoming Tablet
- ▼ August (11)
- ► 2008 (63)